Monday, February 22, 2010

Assault marines done (painting at least)

I finished painting my assault marines this weekend. So half of them are now done. Got a pretty ok recipe for the colors now. Should be able to finish the last five fairly efficiently. Started to use Astronomican Grey as a base for certain parts and then hit it with Sunburst Yellow. That brightens it up real nice and good and lightens up on the big patches of yellow. Hopefully you can see it :)

This one ended up with a flash.


While this one ended up without a flash. Can't decide which one turned out the best. I do need a better camera though:) (it is a theme on this blog it seems)


This is a bit Beatles inspired (hint for the age-impared, look up Abbey Road). I still need to give some cool effect to the sergeant's power sword. Some lightning or similar. To show how bad ass the guy actually is :)

Also note the green assault crosses. Looks pretty good when I got all five of them painted. At least I think so:) Feel free to have opinions in the comments!



And the final shot shows the weathering pretty well. Just have one weather effect, but it turned out pretty ok. The sot from the engines looks pretty realistic, but wow you had to be careful with the black to not overdo it. I really didn't want to repaint:)


So power sword, Imperial Fists decals on the shoulder, some Purity Seal, and I think that I will finish with 'ard coat on the eyes. I hope that it will turn out! I also need to pimp them up with some extra purity seals and the likes. Especially the sergeant.

Trying to finish up the tacticals as well. Put together an extra melta guy and two sergeants (power swords). They will be next on the list.

Oh what do you guys think of the bases?

7 comments:

  1. Very nice!

    I like the bases. They are a little plain, but they are nicely consistent between the models. I think the muted colors on the bases really make the models stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GReat Flekkzo, I like the dark bases they make look the yellow brighter, about the green I think it is fine but since I rather prefer a blue/yellow combination it could be a little biased.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going for the look of burned out ground. Kinda what you would find in your coal grill :) It's quite simple and quick. What I did was that I gutted a water filter (purina or something) which has coal and something else in it, and then painted it while, and slapped badab black on it. Plus a piece of cork rock to get them up higher. I particularly like the guy second to the right on the two first pictures. He looks like he really is sprinting away:)

    Any ideas to make the bases more interesting is always welcome, but black/dark does help the yellow.

    Hehe, so you like blue/yellow:) I suspect that you do know that is the colors of Sweden's flag:) I was thinking of going with a blue instead of a green but settled on green. I think that blue would look great too. Might save that for a Thousand Suns force in the future:) Plus my future Alaitoc force will be blue with yellow. I see a pattern, and then add Space Wolves to that:) Good thing Orks don't care for anything like that:)

    The Assault marines ended up with a clearer yellow than my kind of dirty orangey Tacticals. I wonder if I should try to match them for my three added guys or go with my new formula.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely painted models ... however, couldn't you put them in an animated gif and get a dance sequence out of them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admit that they are very close to "walking" even if it is just five frames :) I do leave that up to someone better at such media magics though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Wildeyedjester Thanks! Encouragement is always welcome:)

    ReplyDelete