Sunday, January 31, 2010

Imperial Fists Assault Marines

This is my fortieth post. Just thought that I would open with something fun. :) I have been, slowly, working on the first half of the Imperial Fists Fourth Company VIIth Squad Assault Marines. Here they all are, in various stages of painting. I probably shouldn't have had glued the flamer to the hands of the marine, but oh well. I chose to wash the container for the flamer fuel (can't remember the name of the stuff) with Ball Red. Turned out a bit too pink, so I might give it another brush of metal, but this time a lighter color, and then more Baal and some Badab Black, maybe even a little red paint in there.

The next two are the closest to being done, then the Sergeant with the power weapon which I do not know how I will paint, and last my little was directly on white test subject. I will probably go for the Iyanden Darksun/Yellow mix directly on top of that.

I gave the exhausts a drybrush of black to give it more of a used look, even though I don't go for any battle damage yet. Maybe in the future :) I hope that it is visible in the photo. I borrowed my wife's camera but it isn't that good for close ups I'm afraid.

This is the two closest to being finished. They lack the IF transfer on the left shoulder and I want to put a VII somewhere so it is easy to see which squad the belong to. I am thinking of doing the same thing as what is often done for the Ultramarines, just that I can't use white transfers as they won't be very visible. I am also not at all good enough with a brush to paint it. I have a pretty odd style compared to what I see in videos online when people paint. I sure don't make the brush go as smooth as the pros :)

I have been playing with the idea of using masking tape to get an assault X and VII on the top of the backpack. We shall see how that goes in the future!

Until post 41, hope you enjoyed some yellow painted assault marines:) I hope to have all of them painted for my next post, and hopefully their 5 friends at least assembled.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Assault Marine

I am still around :) Wanting to finish one before I finish the rest (five still needs to be glued together!) so I see some faster progress I painted this Assault Marine. He's still a WIP but you can clearly see the idea of what I want to do. The next step is a few decals (First on his left shoulder, squad number on the top of the jump pack on the left side, thinking of seeing if I can't get a green assault marine X on the other side, but I need to find some real good tape for that. Yes, I suck that much at painting freehand:)) and then some minor weathering.

I am thinking black soot around the jump pack exhaust and some small metal chips around the edges. Some mithril silver lightly drybrushed in the black part of the exhaust as well. Maybe something more, but I want to keep it fairly "clean" if you can call that with my ad hoc yellow paint style.

This Marine is Tausept Ochre as a base, with a Gryphonne Sepia was followed by a 50/50 of Iyanden Darksun and Golden Yellow. One (!) layer of Golden yellow followed by Sunburst Yellow as highlights. I think it was just one layer at least. He's a bit darker than a few of the Tacticals, but funny enough roughly the same color as my dread (which will be finished and getting some decals when Mr. Marine gets his. I just feel reluctant to do it since I suck at it:)).

The green is a Gretchin Green with Goblin Green on top and a Scorpion Green highlight. Not much for mixing paints right now. We'll see how it goes in the future:) Oh, and the eagle on the chest is blazing orange with a baal red wash or two. Too narrow to brybrush so it was just easier this way:)

So feast your eyes on the WIP (damn I need a proper camera instead of my iPhone):

I will write more about this later, but I have a little display case now :)

And this was a little XMas present to myself. More pictures to come :)